Closed Comedones are whiteheads; the follicle is completely blocked resulting in not being able to squeeze or extract from the skin. This type of comedone usually has a slightly raised bulge. The diameter is approximately 0.1-3 millimeters and has the same color as the normal skin of each person. Comedones arise when cells lining the sebaceous duct proliferate (cornification), and there is increasing level of sebum production. A comedone is formed by the debris blocking the sebaceous duct and hair follicle. It is now known that closed comedones tends to involve inflamed acne.
The treatment for Comedonal acne
Choose "Comedolytic" topical medications. It may take several weeks to months before worthwhile improvement occurs. Comedone extraction using gentle pressure around the pore opening. This treatment may be beneficial to the patient. Possible negative effects of the procedure include incomplete extraction, refilling, scarring and tissue damage. Electrocautery Treatment with this method is not popular due to high risk of scar.
Treatment of comedones with CO2 Laser program
Treatment of comedones by comedolytic topical medications, comedone extraction, or electrocautery has some disadvantages and side effects. Therefore, there is a development of laser innovation in the treatment of closed comedone which has only a few side effects
Advantages of treating comedones with CO2 Laser program
- Suitable for cases with multiple and deep comedones.
- Providing safe and fast treatment results.
- More effective than opening the comedone with a sharp needle because there is often blood bleeding following the visibility of needle's trace marks at the opening.
The result of treating comedones by using a CO2 laser treatment method will open the closed comedones follow by comedone extraction. Providing effective treatment for deep comedones without scarring and without bleeding.
After treatment care
- Apply a thin coat of ointment to keep the area moist. You can repeat this procedure every 1 - 2 hours or less often, depending on how quickly the scab re-form.
- Do not rub, scratch, or pick. Repeat the ointment described above to remove them. If the scab develops, let it loose off on its own.
- Use the gentle facial cleanser.
- Makeup should not be put on until the treated area is completely healed, and then it must be applied and removed delicately.
- If you experience any unusual pain, swelling, scarring, or other issues, please do not hesitate to contact our clinic.